Birth place : Colchester, Ontario
Birth Date 05/02/1844
- Elijah McCoy had a mechanical interest at a very young age
- His parents George and Emillia McCoy were former slaves who escaped through the underground railroad
- George and Emillia saved money to send Elijah to Edinburgh Scotland , where he ended up finishing his studies as a “master mechanic and engineer”
- After finishing his studies Elijah returned to the united states which had just seen the end of the civil war
- Elijah was unable to find work as a engineer after moving to Ypsilanti, Michigan , he was forced to take on a position as a fireman/Oilman
- In 1872 he developed a “lubricating cup” in efforts to improve the efficiency and eliminate the frequent stopping necessary for lubrication of the train , he received a patent for the device later that year.
- In 1916 McCoy created the graphite lubricator which allowed new super heater trains and devices to be oiled.
- In 1920 Elijah established the “Elijah McCoy manufacturing Company” He improved and sold the graphite lubricator as well as other inventions which came to him out of necessity.
- He developed and patented a portable ironing board after his wife expressed a need for an easier way of ironing clothes.
- Created and patented the lawn sprinkler.
- In 1922 Elijah and Mary were involved in an automobile accident and both suffered severe injuries , Mary would die from the injuries and Elijah’s health suffered for several years until he died in 1929.