The C.R. Patterson and Sons Company
- Charles Richard Patterson (Shown in the picture)
- Carriage building firm and the first African American owned automobile manufacturer.
- Patterson converted his company in the early 1900s from horse carriages to manufacturing auto mobiles making 150 cars.
- In 1915 He became known for his Greenfield Patterson Automobile that he produced in 2 styles each costing about $850
- The Greenfield Automobile competed with one of the most popular automobiles being distributed from a manufacturer.
- Patterson’s business became so profitable he made a larger expansion and shifted to making buses and trucks.
- With his eye on the future he created a steady customer base by building strong relationships with numerous school districts.